Re: Re: Linking in DocBook V5.0

On Wed, Nov 14, 2001 at 12:39:45PM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> / Daniel Veillard <veillard@redhat.com> was heard to say:
> |   On one hand, the idea of having all inline elements being capable
> | of linking semantic sounds good. But it might get confusing to have
> | different kind of linking semantic for a given element. Souldn't
> | role and arcrole have IMPLIED values too (and their semantic defined
> | too) ?
>
> I left xlink:role and xlink:arcrole implied in my proposal. I'm not
> sure what confusion you're thinking of. Is it related to olink, to the
> other linking elements, or to using xlink for inlines, or some
> combination of those?

  I suggest to do this for elements for which DocBook already
has a linking semantic. To anchor that semantic in the syntax.

> |   I don't know DocBook well enough to suggest anything here :-)
> | One of the clear use case I have and would like to be able to use is
> | external link base usable for indexes of document collections, so
> | please don't rule out extended links.
>
> For external link bases, you always have the option of making them
> entirely separate documents; they don't even have to be in your

  I'm not suggesting to write the linkbase in DocBook (that would be
cool but not required).
  My point was that for the instance to link to its linkbase, it must
have an element holding xlink:type='extended', so please don't forbit
that possibility :-)

> | > I'm definitely opposed to mandating XPointer before it's a REC. I
> | > guess we might need to add a 'pointing vocabulary' identifier
> | > somewhere,
> |
> |    I think that mandating
> |       #foo
> | to go to the element of ID "foo", is a first step, compatible with
> | XPointer.
>
> Yes. If we go the pointerlanguage route, we could, for example, let it
> be a URI. Given
>
>   pointerlanguage='http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/...'
>
> we could say that the only legal form is #id or a full URI reference.

  Hum, I think this would be easy to understand by a lot of people,

Daniel