Re: Re: Concrete proposal for #480954: Extend textobject toinsert external files

On Tue, Nov 13, 2001 at 08:58:55AM -0500, Norman Walsh wrote:
> 1. Can we limit it to parse=text. I don't think so. If we refer
>    normatively to XInclude, we have to accept XInclude semantics.

Can't we somewhat put the parse attribute to #FIXED ?  That would just
subset the standard - would be easy to do with an architectural form
(and I read somewhere that architectural forms apply to XML too).

>    [...] Is the existence of
>    XInclude a sufficiently strong motivator to provide the functionality
>    that way? It might be, given the semantic issues of encodings and such,
>    but I'm not sure.

If it is, at least people using SGML would somewhat feel left behind I
think :(

> Right. But even that is tricky since DTDs and namespaces don't play
> together terribly well.

What about namespaces and schemas ?  Wouldn't it be reasonable to
switch from DTDs to schemas at some point ?  This at least would be a
motivation for me to leave SGML.  But I don't want to be forced into
XML DTDs.  I have a DocBook-derived DTD that makes use of SGML
features that were for some reason dropped from XML (namely, the "&"
connector in content models).

--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Free-Software Engineer				      Ingénieur Logiciel-Libre