Re: Announce: Website 2.0a1 (ALPHA) released

At 07:02 PM 6/5/01, Norman Walsh wrote:
>/ Dave Pawson <daveP@dpawson.freeserve.co.uk> was heard to say:
>| What we need now is a stylesheet to transform the old webpages
>| to the new!
>| (I've about 500 to do!)
>
>Great idea! Uhm, actually, that shouldn't be too hard. The one wrinkle
>I see is that you've probably got individual pages in external parsed
>entities and there's no way for the parser to know what those entities
>are/were called.

No problem. They are all colocated, and Chris Bayes has a js to
provide an xml listing of the files.
Run it on n files, each a well formed <webpage>

E.g.
<webpage navto="yes" id="N3729">
<config param="desc" value="Filters"/>
<config param="dir" value="xsl"/>
<config param="filename" value="N3729.html"/>
<head>

All the rest could be copied through (I hope?)
Then I write new indexes or whatevers needed at the top end again?

>Maybe it makes more sense to bust 'em into bits with a perl script.
>Hmm.
>
>Other problems to keep an eye on:
>
> - The pages can't be nested anymore.

Again, only an index page problem? (and home page)

> - Converting <link>s to <olink>s might be a bit ugly.

You perl script it, I'll msub it :-)
... er, what sort of links? Cross page links or external ones?

> - The Website DTD is now based on *Simplified* DocBook so you've
>   lost some expressive power.

<grin>I doubt if I'll suffer there</grin> Others may though.

> (This may suck so much that it can't
>   be maintained, but the idea is that you should be able to view the
>   XML versions with an XML browser and for that you want the DTD to
>   be as small as practically possible.)
>
>| The indexes (indices??) are trivial.
>
>More or less.

Lets correct that! The index files are 'manual'.
Trivial is a function of Norms vs my definition of documentation :-)
 What's trivial to Norm often causes me severe headaches, but
I'm slowly getting used to that :-)

Regards DaveP