FW: Informal meeting at XML 2000?

-----Original Message-----
From: Visuvalingam, Sunthar
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2000 10:03 AM
To: Norman Walsh (E-mail)
Cc: Visuvalingam, Sunthar; Pearson XML listserv (E-mail); DocBook
mailing list (E-mail); Laura. Walker (E-mail)
Subject: RE: DOCBOOK: Informal meeting at XML 2000?

Hi Norm,

Please count me in for the informal meeting. There are also several other Pearson attendees, and a couple of them might also wish to join us. It would be great if you could have it on Thursday evening so as to update the less fortunate.

So long as the TC meetings are collocated with the main conference, companies that have a doled out about $15K just to register (not all of us are speakers) wouldn't be too happy about their employee missing 1.5 days of sessions to participate in DocBook activity. If there are logistical (and other) difficulties in having the TC meetings just before the conference week, perhaps they could be held simultaneous with the 2-days of tutorials preceding the main conference? Speaking only for myself (as a former TC member who had to skip the Paris meetings for this very reason), I would choose the TC over (paying the extra for) the tutorials. A possible compromise might be to start a day earlier, and have the 2nd half-day overlap the first day of tutorials. I guess it finally boils down to how much active representation we want on the DocBook committee...

Thanks for taking this initiative, Norm!

Sunthar

Sunthar Visuvalingam
Director of Research and Development
InformIT (Pearson Education)