getting started info

Hi all:

Please excuse the bonehead nature of my inquiry.

As a complete newbie to docbook (why didn't I know about it sooner?), I need
to know basic requirements for beginning to work with it. I'm thinking of
making a Linux partition on my computer, although most apps at work operate
on NT.

It appears that I could try out docbook "simple" by using java enablers,
etc.,  that are easily downloaded and implemented on Linux...does this make
sense to all you sophisticated docbook users out there? Is someone willing
to assist an experienced tech writer understand the initial steps of getting
docbook up and running? I'm used to viewing and interpreting code, so I'll
catch on quickly.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Elisa Ma