Re: new [open]jade problem...

    Arrigo> something that I want to try later today is to have the
    Arrigo> catalog point to the iso_lat1.ent ISO entity and so on for
    Arrigo> ISO Latin2 and the other entities which are distributed by
    Arrigo> Norman Walsh with the XML DTD.  By default under redhat
    Arrigo> the catalog point to ISOlat which looks quite
    Arrigo> different. ISOlat1 is for SGML, not XML: this could be the
    Arrigo> cause of our problems. I'll let you know,

Well, I tried editing the iso_lat2.ent file to change the line for
omacr (a Latin-4 character) to be the same as in the ISOlat2 file. The result is quite
interesting:

1) Jade no longer emits the error message.
2) The correct character appears in the pdf file
3) No character at all appears in the html file, if you view it with
the UTF-8 character set, and rubbish appears if you view using the
Latin-1 character set.

By comparison, using the distributed iso_lat2.ent file, I get:

1) Jade emits the error message:
jade:/usr/lib/sgml/ent/iso-lat2.ent:81:18:E: "X014D" is not a function name
2) The correct character appears in the pdf file
3) The correct character appears in the html file, if you view it with
the UTF-8 character set, and rubbish appears if you view using the
Latin-1 character set.

Unfortunately for me, other characters (such as mdash) do not display
correctly in Netscape using the UTF-8 character set.

Can any Jade expert say why jade doesn't like the entity syntax?

All I can think of, is that it relates to these paragraphs from the
Jade documentation:

 Character/glyph handling

 It only supports a single pre-defined character repertoire. A
 character name of the form U-XXXX where XXXX are four upper-case
 hexadecimal digits, is recognized as referring to the Unicode
 character with that code. For many characters, it is also possible
 to use the ISO/IEC 10646 name in lower-case with words separated by hyphens.

 Some common SDATA entity names from the ISO entity sets are
 recognized and mapped to characters. In addition an SDATA entity name
 of the form U-XXXX, where XXXX are four upper-case hexadecimal
 digits, is mapped to the Unicode character with that code.

 Jade does not make use of any of the declaration architectural forms
 related to characters and glyphs.

 The following style language declarations (as well as the non-DSSSL
 Online declarations) are ignored:

 declare-char-characteristic+property
 declare-char-property
 add-char-properties
 define-language
 declare-default-language

(for reference, the entity looks like this:

<!ENTITY omacr	"&#x014D;"> <!-- LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH MACRON -->

and all the other iso-*.ent entries produce the same sort of warning)

--
Colin Paul Adams
Preston Lancashire