how do i ............

Hi,
how do i do this with docbook v 3.1
i have a few value/pairs spread allover the book.
for example
idiot:fish tank
this can achevied using  segmented list or table and that is not my problem
but i want this
idiot:fishtank (a)

a) you may ask what is the connection between idiot and fishtank, the
connection is this  :- you take your girlfriend out for dinner and consume one
too many glasses of sake and come back to her place and cant hold your
drink., you puke all over into her fish tank and in the process kill all her
expensive rare to find blue fish . Finitos you are an idiot.

foot notes dont work in my case since footnotes are genereted in the end of the
page  since these value pairs are all over the book it looks ugly any ideas ..
also imagine there are 10 value pairs one below the other .

thank you
regards
 --
maddy