Linking in DocBook (specifically for EBNF, but more generally as well)

This has come up before, but now I have concrete case to push
against.

In the EBNF structures we've been discussing, it seems clear
that we want nonterminals to point to thier definitions and that
some nonterminals are defined in other specs. So we have to have
both ID/IDREF and XPointer linking.

How do we want to do this, with two attributes?

<nonterminal linkend="foo">
<nonterminal url="http://...">

and the semantic that only one is allowed (but linkend wins if both
are specified) or with a single XLink attribute

<nonterminal xlink:href="#foo">
<nonterminal xlink:href="http://...">

and the semantic that users (and stylesheets) have to handle the
new form.

Thoughts?

Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | certain: adj., insufficiently
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | analysed