comprehensive indexing

Hola!  I'm going to be working on a rather large reference guide for all
of Sun Microsystems hardware.  It looks like DocBook has the ability to
do everything that I want, and it's worked out well enough to write my
outline for the document.  I'm not quite sure how indexing works using
DocBook, and a comprehensive index of part numbers is one of the things
that I NEED as part of this document.  I'll have many sections to this
document containing part numbers, and I'd like to generate a section at
the end of my document that contains links back to EVERY part number
that I've mentioned.  I've looked over Norm Walsh's book, but I'm still
not clear on how this can be done.  Thanks in advance for
pointer/advice,
	Greg