Newbie: No "Chapter 1" - just "MyNameForTheChapter"

I bougth the book "DocBook - The Definitive Guide" and tried to find out
how to do my own changes. But all I tried - there was no access.

I don't want to put the text "Chapter 1" at the beginning of a chapter. I
would like to put my own text "MyNameForTheChapter" each time a new chapter
begins. Because I don't want to change the original files I have to find out
what entries in what files I have to change. I looked at the DSSSL-files
but I couldn't find any "defines" that put it to work.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Hermann Flacke