DAVENPORT: psgml in emacs-20.3 question

Can someone help me understand why psgml doesn't work for me.

If I edit a file with

  <!DOCTYPE BOOK PUBLIC "-//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN">

psgml parses it fine (and quickly), highlights nice and pretty, but I get

  External entity book not found
  Public identifier -//Davenport//DTD DocBook V3.0//EN

The only 'entities' (markup->insert entity) I have are 'atilogo', 'generic',
'gloss', 'markups', 'sgmlexa', and 'www'.

'/usr/lib/sgml/' looks like:

  30chg.txt      ISOamsr   ISOlat1        dbhier.mod    nwalsh-modular.cat
  40issues.txt   ISObox    ISOlat2        dbpool.mod    sgml-common.cat
  CATALOG        ISOcyr1   ISOnum         docbook.cat   style-sheet.dtd
  ChangeLog      ISOcyr2   ISOpub         docbook.dcl   stylesheets/
  ISOamsa        ISOdia    ISOtech        docbook.dtd   stylesheets.cat
  ISOamsb        ISOgrk1   announce.txt   dsssl.cat
  ISOamsc        ISOgrk2   cals-tbl.dtd   dsssl.dtd
  ISOamsn        ISOgrk3   cdtd/          dtds/
  ISOamso        ISOgrk4   dbgenent.mod   fot.dtd

What's going on?  It looks to me that psgml is not parsing the DTD and I
thought it was suppose to.

Apparently clueless, but a very appreciative person nonetheless,

--
Mike Sangrey
mike@sojurn.lns.pa.us