Re: DAVENPORT: Indent equivalent for DocBook

Norm wrote:
> I don't know of one, but on the topic of indentation, I have to say,
> "be aware of whitespace".
>
> <para>
> My own style has always been to write things like this.
> </para>
>
> But in mixed-content elements (any element that can contain
> character data is "mixed-content" as opposed to
> "element-content" where only elements are allowed), that
> carriage return may be significant. SGML has some interesting
> rules about this, but XML does not. In XML, that space is
> significant.

Too right.
We just cut/paste 60K from Word into
a report DTD using Xmetal.
Looked great.
XSL gave me good looking output.
DSSSL to rtf and hey presto,
that damned white space took
poor old emacs ages to get rid of.
     is there any sort of 'get-rid-of-included-white-space'
program around? Is this 'normalisation'?
(or does that mean Norm has to write it <sorry Norm/>)

{At least it would have shown up in emacs,
I'll not put it to bed yet :-) }
It was hard explaining Xmetal to our admin
staff to do this regularly; think what they would
have said if I had installed emacs on their machines
<evil-grin/>

Therein lies RSI?
regards, DaveP