Re: DAVENPORT: TOC: acrobat out of memory

davidone <saccon@bimimi.it> writes:

> The child has less than 50 pages, with some drawings; I can
> see all the pages with Acrobat but the ones with the TOC.
> Whenever I try to, I get

Never experience that.

> I even tried Acrobat for Linux without success.
> Then I said "Stupid !  Try pdfjadetex !"
> No way:
>
> > [5.0.35] (/INFINITY/local/TeX/texmf/tex/latex/psnfss/ts1ptm.fd)
> > ! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [parameter stack size=6000].

I have experienced that myself.  I'm no tex-expert, but I've been told
to add these configuration lines into texmf.cnf ( I have a teTeX
distribution, so the file is located at
.../teTeX/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf ):

main_memory.jadetex = 1100000
hash_extra.jadetex = 15000
pool_size.jadetex = 5000000
string_vacancies.jadetex = 45000
max_strings.jadetex = 55000
pool_free.jadetex = 47500
nest_size.jadetex = 500
param_size.jadetex = 1500
save_size.jadetex = 5000
stack_size.jadetex = 15000

main_memory.pdfjadetex = 1100000
hash_extra.pdfjadetex = 15000
pool_size.pdfjadetex = 500000
string_vacancies.pdfjadetex = 45000
max_strings.pdfjadetex = 55000
pool_free.pdfjadetex = 47500
nest_size.pdfjadetex = 500
param_size.pdfjadetex = 1500
save_size.pdfjadetex = 5000
stack_size.pdfjadetex = 1500

Maybe you need to remake the .fmt files.  I don't know.

> They are rendered with a resource-consuming procedure, that quickly
> fills the reader memory.
> I then modified dbautoc.dsl, changing one line in the function
> `(define ($toc-entry$'  from
> `(make leader (literal "."))' to `(literal ".......")'.
> The result is a bit less beautiful than the original version, but
> now it works.

I also have noticed how slow the rendering of leaders is.  Espesially
when using AcrobatReader for Linux.  The Windows version is a bit
faster.  But I don't understand why rendering some dots should be that
slow!

--
 Thomas A. Berger