RE: looking for Framemaker -> SGML DocBook DTD (and DkBk -> Fmk) free tools

There's a MIF manual online in FrameMaker. You may want to print
it out, or make a PDF of it (it is reliable, instructive, and huge).

I can't help much with the MIF backend in Jade. Try contacting
ISOGEN, mailto:sgml@isogen.com.

Be prepared for a step learning curve if you want to use DSSSL,
unless of course you know Scheme or another Lisp language in
advance. There's quite a lot of resources for DSSSL and Jade;
start your search at http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/dsssl.html.

Currently, we use OmniMark a lot to convert SGML source files to
various other formats, including MIF. We went this avenue after
growing tired with FrameMaker+SGML's EDD, which lacks a proper
programming language (which OmniMark isn't quite either, BTW).
While it is possible to extends Framemaker+SGML's built-in
conversion facilities using the Frame API, it is a bit costly
in terms of development effort.

The caveat is, whether you go one or the way to unstructured MIF,
that the FrameMaker document is "for presentation only"; there is
no safe and easy way to round-trip between SGML and unstructered
FrameMaker documents. Don't expect to be able to use FrameMaker
as your SGML editor unless you actually use FrameMaker+SGML and
develop a FrameMaker+SGML application.

Kind regards,
Peter Ring