Re: Where, what and how - The future of DocBook

Mike, I was reacting against those who implied DocBook was so difficult that
you absolutely required sophisticated tools to deal with it.  Also, you
have, IMO a weak argument about validation since it actually doesn't take
very long to do it on a modern PC independently of the editing process if
you do editing in one window and validation in another. My particular
project had a variety of tags, but the vast majority of them had quite
repetitive patterns so a working example was always nearby in the document.
Thus, I rarely (about 4 times in the whole project) had a validation error.
So things went really fast for the simple method I chose. That is an
important point I hope we can agree on; DocBook ain't difficult and doesn't
absolutely *require* sophisticated tools.

That said, you have been a good advocate for emacs/psgml (and so was my
partner in the project) so I will probably try it next time, but I don't
regret for a moment doing my first DocBook project this simple and
straightforward way. I seem to learn the best if I solve problems with
low-end tools to start, and then move on up to more sophisticated tools
later on.  YMMV, of course.

This has been an interesting discussion about methods and perhaps even
valuable as well, but I sure wish I could get as quick a response on this
list to the practical problem of Cygnus pdfjadetex not working in the
latest release.

Alan

email: irwin@beluga.phys.uvic.ca
phone: 250-727-2902	FAX: 250-721-7715
snail-mail:
Dr. Alan W. Irwin
Department of Physics and Astronomy,
University of Victoria, P.O. Box 3055,
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W 3P6

Linux-powered astrophysics