Re: docbook2* vs db2*

"David C. Mason" wrote:

> Mark Galassi <rosalia@galassi.org> writes:
>
> > Dude, you missed a thread in which I asked people if they would like
> > such a change, which had been suggested.  I'll privately mail you the
> > thread.
>
> Thanks - I have been traveling. By the way, here was my reply to the
> thread which I sent to Mark privately:
>
> I understand the database connection and the idea that you can alias,
> tab complete, or rename even... but I am thinking of the writer who,
> may not be very Linux/UNIX savvy who has finally learned DB Tools and
> now finds that db2html does nothing. Its a small learning curve yes -
> but it *is* usability.... and that concerns me as I am one of those
> people who have to answer that question over and over again.

This kind of guy would be more at ease with an explict name,
probably.

And to be very honest, the DocBook-tools aren't really for a
guy allergical to the command line yet. We need an IDE.

> Oh, another thing. There have been some developers who insist on
> having the docs build with the source... "what is db2html?" being the

I added man pages to the DocBook utils. Try "man
docbook2html". BTW we could put them online, technically
they are docbook refentries, so we could generate HTML
easily out of them.

Regarding the crash-course, I had the same idea, but it's a
*bad* idea to bundle it into the docbook-utils package. Just
because the crash-course explains you how to get this
package and install it. So if you bundle it, it becomes a
chicken-and-egg problem.

> questions asked most often.... these developers probably do not follow
> DB Tools too closely and as long as their db2html works they will
> expect everyone who downloads their sources to as well... another
> source of problems.

A good entry for a FAQ, according to me.

> Just some thoughts on it.

You're perfectly right.

--
 Éric Bischoff   -   mailto:ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr