Re: images in Docbook with Red Hat 6.2

* Eric Bischoff <ebisch@cybercable.tm.fr> wrote:
> Jochem Huhmann wrote:
> > Err, yes. That's right ;-) But from within a shell script you can
> > configure/request a specific file-format for a given output (as in
> > preferring PNG over GIF for HTML-output)
>
> You can do this in the stylesheets as well, as Sam's code
> snippet shows it.

OK.

> > DSSSL isn't a system programming language, it is for stylesheets. If
> > this means that you have to have all images in one format, well, convert
> > them ;-)
>
> ... or use my entities-based solution ;-).
>
> I also know there's an "imagelib" functionality in Jade, but
> I don't know if this could address this problem.

The actual problem (as so often with this stuff) is to make it easy to
use from a documentation writers point of view. Actually we don't need
any tools, we do need jade and stylesheets and DTD's and a Makefile.
Period.

Someone who just wants to write and convert docs needs simple, straight,
well-documented tools with a man-page. With some commandline options or
with a GUI and with simple configuration files, with reasonable defaults
in /etc and his own in $HOME to override this. We should try to keep
that in mind. Tell these people about entities and driver files and such
and they won't use that at all.

        Jochem