Re: [docbook-apps] zh_CN or zh-CN for HTML

"W. Borgert" <debacle@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, May 27, 2005 at 08:37:14AM +0900, Michael Smith wrote:
> > There is a possibility that it could end up being set to 0 by
> > default before the next official release -- to make it backward
> > compatible. But I would argue that since this is an issue of
> > standards compliance, we should be making the default compliant
> > with the standards, with users given the option to make it not
> > compliant if for some reason they need to do that. Or to put it
>
> Is there any reason to keep the old, non-standard variant in
> the next release anyway, even with setting a parameter?

Well, I don't think it hurts to keep it. But it could hurt not to
keep it. Who knows -- maybe there are users out there who have set
up some kind of post-processing step or something that relies on
the underscore being preserved in the output HTML.

I think in general that it is prudent to always provide an option
for backward compatibility. Even in a case like this, where
backward compatibility means giving users the option of generating
output that is not standards compliant. If somebody wants to do
that for some reason, who am I to tell them they can't?

  --Mike

--
Michael Smith
http://logopoeia.com/  http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/890