Re: [docbook-apps] excluding image format according to output

Dave Pawson wrote:
On Thu, 2005-04-14 at 08:43 +0200, Camille BÃgnis wrote:

Yes that's it: PNG (bitmap) quality in printed material is not comparable to the vector based format quality.

Would you expand on that please Camille.
I certainly don't understand.

I use SVG for 'vector' diagrams.
I don't think I can get bit mapped images
from that though.

This is what happens to me: I use PNG for screenshots for both PDF and HTML output formats. Then I wanted to insert a diagram exported in EPS format from the editor for PDF output, and PNG for HTML. Obviously I cannot use the PNG for PDF because it is bad quality.

As PDF can embed vector graphics in it, this is the insurance that best possible quality, in terms of resolution, will be achieved at print time.

As I don't want the processor to exclude all PNGs for PDF (because of screenshots) I had to use the following:

      <mediaobject>
	<imageobject>
	  <imagedata align="center" fileref="images/animation-fig.pdf"
	  format="PDF" width="15cm"/>
	</imageobject>
	<imageobject>
	  <imagedata align="center" fileref="images/animation-fig.png"
	  format="JPG"/>
	</imageobject>
      </mediaobject>

and exclude JPG for fo output in customization layer...

Hope it's clear now,

Camille.
begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Camille B=C3=A9gnis
n;quoted-printable:B=C3=A9gnis;Camille
org:NeoDoc
adr:Domaine du petit Arbois BP 88;;CEEI;Aix en Povence Cedex 4;;13545;France
email;internet:camille@neodoc.biz
tel;work:+33.4.42.22.62.35
tel;cell:+33.6.33.15.10.23
x-mozilla-html:FALSE