Re: [docbook-apps] website: generating autolayout.xml needs hugeamount of memory

On Sat, 2005-04-09 at 00:19 +0200, Klaus Heinz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we are in the process of converting a set of pages (~ 2200) to DocBook
> website. The XSLT processor is xsltproc.
>
> I observed that generating the file autolayout.xml from layout.xml needs
> a really huge amount of memory: with only 170 XML files included in
> layout,xml, top shows a total process size of > 350 MB.
>
> How can I reduce/avoid this (IMHO) insane amount of required memory?
> Do we even have to use layout.xml/autolayout.xml if we do not need the
> hierarchical view (we do not have/want a navigation bar)?
You can't AFAIK. In order to generate the cross links, I *think* website
actually loads all the pages into memory, effectively as a single
document (website, made up of webpages).

> I am a beginner with XML/DocBook/website and maybe I am doing
> something completely wrong.
> Is xsltproc the wrong tool? Do other processors require a similar
> amount of RAM?
> I cannot really see how we could be able to process layout.xml with all
> the 2200 pages if we already have problems with less than 10% of all
> pages. How do other people cope with that problem?

If you don't need cross document linking, why use website. Just make
up your website from many individual docbook documents, styled with
the html stylesheets.

HTH DaveP