Re: [docbook-apps] DocBook XSL 1.67.0 released

At 4:12 AM +0900 11/12/04, Michael Smith wrote:

The problem is that its default rendering makes it inappropriate
for marking up programming variables or program arguments -- which
most people do not want rendered in italic.

I'd question that statement. I *do* want method arguments rendered in italic, at least a significant fraction of the time. This is the convention I've used in several books, including XML in a Nutshell, and I've seen it used in other O'Reilly books as well.

I agree not everyone wants this, nor does everyone want it all of the time. I've also written books where I did not italicize method arguments. However no one single convention will satisfy everyone. This is what CSS is for. Different documents can choose different renderings for var, as they like.

However, I am specifically not bothered by the default rendering of var as italic. This is a common idiom, and a reasonable one.

--

  Elliotte Rusty Harold
  elharo@metalab.unc.edu