Re: [docbook-apps] HTML output contains "Ä"

These letters show up in HTML whenever your HTML is encoded as UTF-8 but the
browser thinks it is encoded in ISO-8859-1.  This mismatch could come from:

a. The HTML not including a charset meta tag.

b.  The HTML including a wrong charset meta tag.

c.  The HTTP server providing an incorrect charset property in the http
header that overrides the charset meta tag in the HTML.

Does your HTML have a charset meta tag?
Do you get the same results when viewing it locally instead of through a
server?

This reference has more info:

http://www.sagehill.net/docbookxsl/OutputEncoding.html

Bob Stayton