[docbook-apps] Alternative to internal entities?

Hello,

Obviously this is not a DocBook-specific question, but are there any
alternatives to internal entities for macro-like text substitution?  I
have pretty much completely moved from PSGML to nxml-mode for DocBook
editing, and I would like to try and eliminate use of DOCTYPEs.
However, I quite like declaring entities in the internal subset for
simple text substitution.  Is there a lighter-weight alternative to
XInclude?  For one application, I used an entity to refer to the
working name for a software package in case it changed.  It seems a
bit excessive to XInclude a separate file to expand what would be,
say, a two character entity to the name of a software package.  Is
there an alternative?

--
Paul.

mailto:paulh@logicsquad.net