Re: [docbook-apps] newbie help with DSSSL

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 10:20:56PM +1200, Thomas Clive Richards wrote:
> > > ummm.. now I'm completely lost. I'm using docbook2x, and have read the
> > > man page, but can't see anything about page numbers, or references...
> >
> > Do you see docbook2pdf run pdfjadetex multiple times ?  Do you see any
> > message at the end of the run saying you must run pdfjadetex again ?
> >

> nope, none of the above - any ideas?
>
> here's a sample run:
> # docbook2pdf -d stylesheet Design_Docs.xml
>
> Using catalogs: /etc/sgml/catalog
> Using stylesheet: /home/thomi/.docsdir/stylesheet
> Working on: /home/thomi/.docsdir/Design_Docs.xml
> jade:/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl:31:27:W: characters in the document
> character set with numbers exceeding 65535 not supported
> Done.

Ah, it discards TeX output obviously.  From the manpage I can see no
way to see TeX output, or to check which commands are invoked behind.

Running "strace -o strace.log -f -eexecve docbook2pdf piege.sgml"
shows that pdfjadetex is invoked 3 times.  That could be enough, but
obviously is not in jour case.

It also appears to run jade even if openjade is installed.  You'll
have to use "--parser openjade" or deinstall jade.

OTOH, sgml2x does not hide TeX output, parses TeX output to detect
whether it should be run again, and is quite flexible in how to
specify the jade variant to use.  Maybe you'll want to have a look at
it.  FWIW, I wrote it, in case it wasn't obvious from how I'm
attempting to sell it :)

> I'm not sure what the warning is all about, I aven't changed anythign in that
> file... and it works, so I'm not touching it ;)

Try to install openjade instead.  Jade is a venerable ancestor.

> Ahh, yes.. I am using XML then.. but I could probably change... should I?

There's no reason to change if you're happy with XML :)

As a personal taste, I prefer to use SGML when composing manually, to
make use of some shortcuts that make things more readable but are not
available in XML.  But many people out there prefer XML.

HTH,
--
Yann Dirson <Yann.Dirson@fr.alcove.com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Senior Free-Software Consultant          Consultant senior en Logiciels Libres