Re: [docbook-apps] fop problems

Alexander Schatten wrote:

-- was not able to run DSSSL installation instructions for DSSSL gurus, no idea

On Unix boxes this works out of the box and for Windows there are several tutorials describing setup -- the most know is probably from Markus Hoenicka. I'm using DSSSL almost daily on Windows to get RTF from DocBook.

-- xsl:fo + FOP either complete failure (like above), or a result, that is (was, last tests) nearly completly unusable: defect content, defect tables, lines running out of bounds... not even as draft usable

If you customize stylesheets a lot, you can get almost decent output. But still far from perfect.

-- xsl:fo + XEP: this was the only combination that tolarably worked; result was not really good, but o.k. however xep is extremly expensive, and even in academic version you get the "Render X XEP" text on bottom of the page--->unusable

I must disagree, with XEP you can get really nice PDF. Academic version doesn't stamp bottom of a page it just includes PDF annotation on the first page. This annotation is not printed and in the Acrobat Reader is shown as small icon which doesn't cover text.

-- recently I tested docbook2pdf on my redhat linux, which gave refreshing good results---basically---but: no index was generated (dont know why) and even worse: all images where included far too big (out of boundaries), allthough they should fit easily.

Index generation process is described even in DSSSL stylesheets documentation. You must use Perl script for proper sorting.

http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/dsssl/current/doc/indexing.html

ah, yes, there should be a docbook-->latex processor.

Check db2latex.sf.net. It needs customizations (especially for other languages then en and fr, but you can get decent PDF from it -- e.g. http://www.kosek.cz/diplomka/dp.pdf

so far, no results, unfortunately. I decided to use docbook for a large projecte about 3 years ago, because I assumed, that those problems would be temporarily and the tools with mature, but this seems not to be the case, rather the opposite (fop not even producing bad results, only errors) :-(

Tools are mature, but unfortunately not free ones. I'm producing camera ready texts from RTF output with MS Word and Acrobat Distiller from 1998 and same with XEP for let say last year.

The problem is that to get really nice look you must customize stylesheets. And customizing print stylesheets is much more difficult than HTML ones because you can't use CSS. And yes, both XSL-FO and DSSSL languages are much more complex then CSS.

Jirka

  Jirka Kosek
  e-mail: jirka@kosek.cz
  http://www.kosek.cz