[docbook-apps] DocBook for authoring Technical Requirements, Specifications?

Greetings.

Searching Google, OASIS, and "Requirements" community sites hasn't yet shown
me whether there are XML vocabularies generally in use for creating system
requirements and technical specifications documents.

DocBook occurred to me, despite its having been designed to "doc"ument a
system more than specify one.

Any "SpecBook" or "ReqBook" out there?

Or is going the MS-Word or OpenOffice .DOC template route the only way these
days? (or Rational ReqPro, LiveSpecs, and similar expensive commercial
products)

Perhaps it's that the overhead of authoring in a markup language is seen as
detrimental to the shorter life of these "upstream" documents, as compared to
downstream documentation efforts, which ought to endure long after a system
is built and in use.

Many thanks for suggestions, comments.
William Reilly
Somerville, Massachusetts, U.S.A.