[docbook-apps] Table Column text formatting.

Hi,

Is there a way to specify that a column is being used as a title type column
without having to individually specify it each entry for that column?

e.g.

Code    Name      Description
A       Active    The Active Code
I       Inactive  The Inactive Code

I want everything in the "Code" Column above to have the text formatted
differently (generally bold) to the normal text formatting.

Output is for both xhtml and PDF, using Saxon, FOP, and the XSL 1.62.4
stylesheets, and I *think* following the CALS specs for tables.

Also - is it possible to specify column widths as a number of characters (like
the "em" in html CSS)? And if so, which unit do I use?

Cheers,
Janeene.