[docbook-apps] Pros and cons DocBook vs Word2003

Hi,

Our organization is migrating from Word to XML. I've suggested DocBook and
XXE (XMLmind XML Editor). We have been testing DocBook and XXE for some time
and our test persons are beginning to get used to XXE. The output to PDF and
HTML Help is beginning to look nice. However, since Word 2003 has been
released I'm beginning to meet some resistance in using DocBook and XXE. I
need some help to shoot their arguments to pieces, which I might be able to
do if any of you can provide me with good answers to my questions.

* Images and vector graphics.
We're using Word to produce Visio-like graphics, flowcharts, software
design, network overviews etc. Since we don't like to pay any more licens
fees than necessary we'd like to stick with M$ Office which we'd need
anyway. PowerPoint is capable of saving files in .wmf (Windows Metafile)
which can be converted to svg/jpeg using "libwmf". Is there a better
solution?

I'd like to create a "one mouse-click solution" in XXE, e.g. click on the
image and the appropriate editor opens, e.g. PowerPoint. Afaik the XSL tools
can't automatically handle wmf-files which makes it necessary for a
conversion to svg or jpeg before processing the xml. Best way would be to be
able to insert and show a .wmf file in XXE and make a conversion to
svg/jpeg. I've sent a question to XMLMind list.

* How is WordML compared to DocBook XML?
>From what I've seen WML is very messy, containing formatting, images etc.
DocBook schema and Word 2003 isn't very pretty either, from a writers point
of view. I've heard WML isn't very hiearchical. Would this be a problem as
well?

Is it possible to use WML, get a cleaner xml (save options?) and ship it to
translation without the tranlator going bananas over the horrible xml?

If a messy WML is used will cvs join and cvs diffs (tracability) be a
problem?

* Modular files DocBook vs Word 2003
It is possible to use a modular structure in Word as well as in DocBook.
What does DocBook do better which Word can't?

* Cross-links
Is it possible to create live cross-links in Word which if used online e.g.
opens another PDF-file?

* How hard is it to create a DTD/schema for Word 2003?

My arguments in favor of DocBook:

One of my strongest arguments is that writers no longer need to meddle with
layout since working with xml, css and a dtd provides structure and layout
for you. Another strong argument is that by using a dtd a writer is
constrained to use what ever elements available in the dtd.

* Pretty XML which can be used to produce many outputs (Word can do that as
well but with slightly less control of the output.)

* Parts of the XML can easily be reused in other documents, e.g. We have a
E-learning project which uses flash and xml. It's possible to import parts
of the existing documentation into the E-learning application with a small
amount of programming. (Can Word provide a similar easy to use xml source?)

* Easy to manage in cvs.

* Creates PDF's with bookmarks. (Our current Adobe batch PDF-writer can't
produce PDF's with bookmarks!)

* Easy to include in build environment. (Hmm, we have a build env for our
PDF files and a trial env for Word -> HTML Help)

* Entities. Big advantage in DocBook. Makes it possible to easily change
content on-the-fly for new releases, automatic branding for partners etc.
(Can you do this using scripts in Word? )

* Layout is difficult to manage in Word.

* Word templates are big source of bugs, e.g. Toc, numbering and style
problems appear from time to time. Also templates can be overridden (often
by mistake) by users since they are not centralized and only constraining to
a point.

Arguments against DocBook and XXE

* Word is a standard and all our users are familliar with it.

* Built in grammar and spell checking support for many languages.

Do you have any ideas/arguments that might convince my co-workers to use
DocBook/XXE instead of Word 2003?

Sorry for my long post.

Thanks for your help!

/Kenneth