Re: [docbook-apps] how to left-indent <programlisting>, <screen>??

On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 07:48:41AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   i wanted to automatically left indent some of the monospace
> verbatim environments, and after checking some of the other
> .xsl files in the fo/ stylesheets directory, as a first attempt,
> i tried adding the customization:
>
> <xsl:attribute-set name="monospace.verbatim.properties">
>  <xsl:attribute name="start-indent">0.25in</xsl:attribute>
> </xsl:attribute-set>
>
>   (NOTE that this is not the ideal approach in case i wanted
> to have different amounts of indentation for the different
> monospace verbatim environments, but i figured it was a
> good first attempt.)
>
>   while the above *did* in fact generate the proper left indent
> for my sample <screen> and <programlisting>, it *totally*
> screwed the contents of those elements.
>
>   suddenly, their contents were justified (that is, both left
> and right, massive amounts of inserted white space) while,
> for the most part, the font reverted from monospace to regular
> for both elements.
>
>   this is not what i expected.  is there any reason (or docs)
> to explain why simply adding that "start-indent" attribute would
> cause this kind of change in processing?  (can anyone reproduce
> this, just so i know i'm not hallucinating?)

You have run into a bug in the current version of xsltproc.
It is not merging attribute-sets.  So your attribute-set
addition became the entire attribute set, so the other
monospace properties were lost and it reverted back to
the inherited properties.  Currently you have to copy
the entire attribute-set definition from the docbook
stylesheet file to your customization and make changes.

>   and, on a related topic, is there a better way to add that
> kind of customization so that i can do it on a per-element
> basis?  would it make sense to wrap the element in a
> fo:block with a "start-indent" attribute instead?

Generally it is easier to merge property changes in
an attribute-set if one is available to be customized.
But it will work better when this bug in xsltproc
is fixed.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com