Re: [docbook-apps] Request: Feedback on proposal for new URI element

er, sent this to docbook-apps by mistake. I just reposted to the docbook
list. If you have comments, reply there, please.

Michael Smith <smith@xml-doc.org> writes:

> The DocBook TC would like to ask for comments on the following proposal
> for a new 'uri' element (based mostly on an informal proposal that
> Elliotte Rusty Harold posted to this list many months ago).
>
> If you have comments on the proposal, please post them to this list.
>
> For background on this discussion, please see the following archived
> messages:
>
>   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook/2002-05/msg00105.html
>   http://sources.redhat.com/ml/docbook/2002-08/msg00157.html
>
> I posted version of this proposal to the list about 3 months, but
> received no responses regarding it. If you have any thoughts about this
> current proposal, it's important that you respond this time, because the
> TC is preparing to vote on the proposal.
>
> The only difference between this proposal and the one I posted
> previously is that this version omits the "class" attribute on the
> uri element. (The content model in the original proposal included a
> class attribute to indicate whether this URI was a URL or a URN.
> However, consensus during the TC discussion about the element was that
> this URL/URN class attribute was not actually needed).

> Uri -- A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI)
>
> 1. Description
> --------------
>   A Uri is a literal Uniform Resource Identifier (URI)
>   that appears inline in the main narrative flow of a
>   document. It is not a link or cross-reference.
>
>   1.1 Processing expectations
>
>      Unlike the Ulink element, Uri is not rendered as
>      an actual hyperlink to the content found at the
>      location it references. Instead, it appears as
>      literal text, perhaps distinguished
>      typographically (for example, in monospace or
>      italic type).
>
> 2. Synopsis
> -----------
>
>   2.1 Content model
>   -----------------
>     uri ::=
>       (#PCDATA)
>
>   2.2 Attributes
>   --------------
>     common attributes, plus the following:
>
>     type                 CDATA              none
>

>   2.3 Parameter Entities
>   ----------------------
>     %tech.char.class
>
>   Note: Adding the Uri element to %tech.char.class will
>         make Uri valid anywhere where Systemitem is
>         valid.
>
> 3. Attributes discussion
> ------------------------
>
>   Type
>     Specifies the type of URI. This attribute is
>     provided as a means for users to distinguish
>     categories of URIs from one another. For example,
>     the following set of potential values might be
>     useful under certain circumstances:
>
>       * xmlNamespace
>       * saxFeatureName
>       * saxPropertyName
>       * jaxpFeatureName
>       * soapAction
>       * rddlPurposes
>       * rddlNature

> [...]

Michael Smith
Openwave Systems Japan     +81 90 9148 0269 (mobile)
Nishishinjuku 6-22-1       +81  3 5909 6347 (office)
Tokyo, Japan 163-1117      +81  3 5909 6241 (fax)