RE: [docbook-apps] what's the value of the document type declarat ion?

However, as I think about it a little bit more, the document below is a
well-formed document using general entities, but not pulling in an external
DTD (assuming that introduction.xml and chapter1.xml are both well-formed
XML fragments):

<!DOCTYPE book [
 <!ENTITY introduction SYSTEM "introduction.xml">
 <!ENTITY chapter1 SYSTEM "chapter1.xml">
]>
<book>
 <title>A Non-validating document</title>
 &introduction;
 &chapter1;
</book>

This won't validate, of course, because you haven't defined any elements,
but an XML parser will still be able to find your document fragments.

Jeff