Re: [docbook-apps] Chunked output with .css and images folder

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 02:28:04PM +0200, Janning Vygen wrote:

> > > it is sometimes wanted because some say you get a better search
> > > engine ranking if you have a filename like
> > > /keyword1/keyword2/keyword.html
> >
> > keyword1.keyword2.keyword.html equally contains all the keywords.
>
> of course! but it isnt very popular to have filenames of 256 chars,
> isn't it? but dont let discuss it. some people wants to have it and
> they may have their reasons.
>
> > > It is sometimes wanted to let a visitor or editor see the
> > > structur of a website by its url. (like these nice path strings
> > > sometimes found in the head of a page (you are here...)
> >
> > 'You are here' information can perfectly be generated out of the
> > docbbok structure. You just need to 'climb back to the top' with a
> > named template, and create this list.
>
> of course. But some people just want "you are here information" in
> the document path. It is as easy as to build a path info inside the
> html code. so why dont let them have their long path with lots of
> directories?
>
> I just dont think about if it reasonable. It is possible and people
> want it. so why dont do it?
>
> compare it to naming files by id! Why do you want it? it makes no
> sense. you can name them ch01s01.html too. If you access your stuff
> only via browser and http links its perfectly fine. But people tend
> to look at the url to imagine where their are. It is one sort of
> navigational context like a menu, like a "you are here info"  and so
> on.

It is a reasonable feature, but it just isn't implemented
yet in the stock DocBook XSL stylesheets.   You could file
a feature request on the DocBook SourceForge tracker
if you don't want to implement it yourself.

The Website customization for DocBook has a feature that
lets you specify multiple output directories and manages
the links between them to some extent.  But it doesn't
handle chunking of books at the same time; it just manages
separate small Docbook documents.

                                            email: bobs@sco.com