Re: [docbook-apps] Re: Tables, braille and other stuff

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 04:57:08PM +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
> >- bidimensional (or multidimensional) arrays,
>    Why? Because that's how programming langs do it?
>    Is that sufficient reason?

No.  I'm only speaking about the same adta a programming lang would
handle that way however.  You have a number of dimensions, where each
value in that dimension gets rendered as a row/col header.  In the
CALS model at least you don't have the notion of what would be
preceived as the row's title.  You don't have the notion of grouping
rows either.  You have to manually do layout work when composing, and
it's tedious to move just one row.  That's nearly the only problem
xtable does solve today, have a look :)

> Suggestion.
>   Ask the person next to you to describe the data in the table
> you come across.

Hm, what do you mean by "describe" ?  Have him produce an audio
rendering of the table, or have him abstract information from the
table ?

--
Yann Dirson <Yann dot Dirson at fr dot alcove dot com>                 http://www.alcove.com/
Technical support manager                Responsable de l'assistance technique