XHTML and chunking parameters

Hello,

I'm investigating DocBook slides with MathML and SVG for Computational
Science and Engineering courseware (slides, notes). I've read previous
discussions about Latex versus DocBook. I'm a longtime Latex user,
looking into the new land ...

XHTML is needed for MathML and SVG. I'm using Mozilla as my test
browser.  I'm still coming up several learning curves, XSL in
particular.

The slides stylesheets use write.chunk extensively, which uses
chunker parameters declared in chunker.xsl:

chunker.output.cdata-section-elements
chunker.output.doctype-public
chunker.output.doctype-system
chunker.output.encoding
chunker.output.indent
chunker.output.media-type
chunker.output.method
chunker.output.omit-xml-declaration
chunker.output.standalone

The html2xhtml.xsl transformation modifies chunker.outout.method to
'xml' but does not change the other chunker parameters.

The docbook/xsl/xhtmlhtml2xhtml.xsl transformation sets xsl:output as
(reformatted for easy reading):

<xsl:output method="xml"
encoding="UTF-8"
doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"/>

and it these doctypes which get used- at least in my testing with
Saxon 6.5.2. My understanding is that they are inherited by
saxon:output which (I think) actually does the output (serialization?).

Is there a reason for not modifying the other chunker parameters,
and relying on xsl:output?

It wouldnt be hard to set values for the chunker parameters in a
customization layer. But is it more appropriate they get modified by
html2xhtml (in both the DocBook and the slides stylesheets)?

There's another reason I'm interested in the chunker parameters to
do with validation but I'll pop that into another post ...

Geoff