couple more questions about transforming pidgin docbook

  i'm still working my way thru the literature on XSLT, and i'm
having a couple of transformation issues with my current .xsl file.

  to be brief, here's the opening part of the pidgin.xsl file:

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

<xsl:stylesheet
	version="1.0">

<xsl:template match="@* | node()">
 <xsl:copy><xsl:apply-templates select="@* | node()" /></xsl:copy>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="ch">
 <chapter>
 </chapter>
</xsl:template>

<xsl:template match="se">
 <section>
 </section>
</xsl:template>

... couple dozen templates deleted here

</xsl:stylesheet>

  the first problem is that the transformation process loses all
of the comments in the original file.

  the other issue is that the opening XML line

	<?xml version='1.0 ?>

is transformed into

	<?xml version="1.0"?>
                           ^   space is dropped

and that space appears to be required.  i'm just using xsltproc
with this single .xsl file on the input file, so i'm not sure
why the XSLT transformation is doing either of these.  advice?

rday