Re: Docbook xsl stylesheets and accessibilityrequirements?

ed nixon wrote:

My experience indicates that there may be inconsistencies among XSLT processors with respect to the handling of the xhtml namespace attribute.

In order to not confuse pre-namespace validators, older browsers etc, I chose a temporary workaround:
I don't qualify the XHTML elements (no namespace declaration), then insert a single namespace declaration in the generated output files, via a script.

It's complicated for me because I'm not expert on the differences among the XHTML specs, the intended function of the xsl:output instruction, the behaviour of various browsers with respect to the presence or absence of a URI in the DOCTYPE declaration, and, of course, the behaviour of the validators themselves.

Real XHTML would be simpler, but "HTML compatible XHTML" is something vague ... some day, "all" browsers will support XHTML (served as application/xhtml+xml) ... hopefully.

For example, there are differences between the W3C validator and the CSE HTML Validator on the Windows desktop in terms of errors reported.

I suggest xmllint and Xerces as validators.

Some or all of this may be clear as air to others, but the various factors do seem to need some analysis, tabulation and documentation in order to reduce the smoke and FUD.

FUD? From who/where?

If anyone has any suggestions about a controlled test approach, I'd be grateful to hear them.

Have a batch script call a validator to validate the input before the transformation, then after the transformation call it again to validate the oputput.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/