Re: Docbook xsl stylesheets and accessibilityrequirements?

Adam DiCarlo wrote:

Tobias Reif <tobiasreif@pinkjuice.com> writes:

I share the requirements of both of you. To get the XHTML I want and
need, I wrote my own XSLTs [1], and I'm very happy with the results
(and I'm still working on them, planning a rewrite). The stuff you two
mention already is implemented.
[1]
http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/vimxml/about.xml#sources

Specifically,
<URL:http://www.pinkjuice.com/howto/vimxml/xslt/tinydbk2xhtml/>,
right?

This probably isn't very helpful to the DocBook-XSL developers.

But I did not say it would be useful for the developers of the NW-DBK2(X)HTML-XSLTs, if that's what you mean.

It's
easier to integrate/patch in when you do it as a customization to
docbook-xsl rather than starting from scratch.

I did not say that the linked XSLTs are patches for the NW-DBK2(X)HTML-XSLTs, or that the code's purpose is to be integrated into them.

This lis is titled
DOCBOOK-APPS
which seems to imply that it about DocBook tools *in general*.
So it can not be assumed that everything is somehow directly related to Norm's software.

You misunderstood me in fundamental ways. If you re-read what I wrote, you'll see that I merely stated that I share your requirements concerning the specific discussed aspects of XHTML code output, and then explained how I achieved it to get the XHTML I want.
I spent many weeks over many months trying to customize the NW-DBK2XHTML-XSLTs to meet my requirements (including giving lots of feedback, offlist), then at one point found that the only way to really get the kind of output I need, I must write my own XSLTs.

I started from scratch, and I'm very happy with the XHTML I get.

I think that makes a lot of sense, and I'm also not the only one writing his own DocBook2[foo] XSLTs. Others have unmet requirements as well, but that does not say *anything* about Norm's XSLTs. No single software package can ever meet all possible requirements or preferences. When you are looking for a tool to get a specific job done, you try one, then the next, and if none fits your bill, and minor changes don't cut it, then you simply have to create the tool yourself.

Norm's packages offer *a lot*, and most requirements of most projects are met AFAICS. But although there are many ways to customize the output (overriding templates etc), no package could ever meet all requirements of all projects.

As for the stuff you listed:
I think that Norm probably would incorporate the changes you proposed.

Tobi

--
http://www.pinkjuice.com/