Re: [Fwd: phantom xmlns in xhtml [was: xhtmlcustomization]]

I'll log another bug report with the xmllib/xsltproc folks about this anomaly. Thanks.
...edN

Bob Stayton wrote:
On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 08:57:07AM -0500, ed nixon wrote:

//*** Addendum to above for what it's worth:
If you haven't read the above, my Win32 xsltproc xhtml output was failing W3C validation because of xmlns attributes inserted in the H? tags. On the other hand, Saxon produces valid output with the same input and driver file.

For my own benefit, I did some bonehead slogging through the xhtml xsl directory of 1.60.1. just to get a general sense of things. I deleated the xmlns attribute in all the H? output related templates; the hypothesis was that xsltproc was passing them through to the output file without modification, and thus generating non-valid code (according to the W3C validator.)

After the edit, I ran my driver stylesheet (avaiable on request) with xsltproc and checked the xhtml output. The xmlns attributes were back in the output again.

I hope this is useful information for someone. Let me know what, if anything, happens.

I think this illustrates that it is the processor that is
deciding on where to place the xmlns attributes in the
output, not the stylesheet.  That means the stylesheet
cannot turn them off.

The only place in the XHTML DTD where an 'xmlns' attribute
is permitted is in the <html> element.  xsltproc puts
it there, but also in other elements.  I can't explain why
it does that.