Re: Is it time to rely on CSS?

Adam DiCarlo wrote:
Dave Pawson <dpawson@nildram.co.uk> writes:
<snip/>
I think there's also an imperative that
the stylesheets ship with as nice and general output as we can get.
I think the point of having nice and general output in the distribution agrees, at least in principal, with Dave Pawson's point just now. And it's a good point.

Would a solution then be to have the XSL stylesheets put *all* "nice and general" styling in the style element in the head of the output and put nothing in the body. Then allow this "head style" generation to be turned off and/or customized in comination with an option to link to an external sheet? Before or after the <style> element? (It does make a difference, of course.)

If so, are we really very far away from that right now? This feels like a workable approach in terms of flexibility, browser gottchas and various levels of compliance with various standards and guidelines. Does it work?

Regards. ...edN