Re: howto make nicer tables?

"A.R. (Tom) Peters" <tpeters@xs4all.nl> writes:

> I get lots of messages like:
>
> openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/xml/4.1/docbook.cat:34:0:W: DTDDECL
> catalog entries are not supported
>
> Huh?  No DTDDECL's with XML?

Yes, these are SGML catalog entries for DTDDECL.  The latest
openjade1.3 in debian unstable and openjade (1.4devel) don't show this
warning.

> > I get the feeling that the dsssl route is a technological
> > dead end and you would probably be better off switching to xsl
> > rather than learning to hack dsssl, especially as you are already
> > using docbook/XML. I think passivetex is also being more
> > actively developed than jadetex, if I understand correctly.
>
> I recall I chose DSSSL anyway because I read that the XSL stylesheets, or
> one of the other intervening tools, did not support printing - or
> something like that.

That's not true.  The XSL-FO printing output has come of age in 2002
and seems to work well, although each toolchain has it's
particularities.  Don't ask me more, I haven't used it that much yet.

> Is the proper use of XSL stylesheets with DocBook to generate paper
> output documented somewhere?

Yes, http://www.sagehill.net/xml/docbookxsl/index.html.  I think TDG
also talks about this.