Re: additional line(s) in <screen> and <synopsis>

/ Olivier Chapuis <olivier.chapuis@free.fr> was heard to say:
| IMO the good behavior (for better readability of the source) is that
|
| <screen>blabla</screen>
|
| <screen>
| blabla
| </screen>
|
| <screen>
| blabla</screen>
|
| <screen>blabla
| </screen>
|
| should all produce
|
| --------
| blabla
| --------
|
| as the "html" does. Adding blanc lines should be done as follows:

With respect, I disagree. If you put whitespace into an element with
mixed content, that whitespace is significant. End of story.

It is sometimes inconvenient, but it is entirely consistent and
completely understandable.

The fact that HTML browsers ignore whitespace wherever they see fit,
but not always everywhere that one might like, is a bug.

Whitespace handling in SGML was a subject of tremendous confusion and
debate (but at least there were rules, unlike browsers). XML's
decision to radically simplify the rules was a great step forward.

| Can I fix that pbs by "fo style-sheet customization" or/and by
| changing a magic line in PassiveTex source? I.e., where is the
| bug?

You can work around your markup errors in the stylesheets, but I
recommend fixing the markup instead.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

- --
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>      | This mortal life is a little
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/ | thing, lived in a little corner of
Chair, DocBook Technical Committee | the earth; and little, too, is the