Re: howto make nicer tables?

Thanx for the advice.  However:

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Doug du Boulay wrote:

> On Friday 17 January 2003 07:21, A.R. (Tom) Peters wrote:
> > I am processing DocBook/XML with jade and jadtex and hence to pdf and ps.
>
> Switch to openjade. I recently experienced wierd problems with
> tablefootnotes while using Jade, but they disappeared after switching
> to openjade (I believe the two were correlated, but I was also
> experimenting with customizing the dsssl so not 100% sure).

When I run openjade instead of jade (to be precise:
openjade -t tex -V tex-backend \
	-d /usr/share/sgml/docbook/stylesheet/dsssl/modular/print/docbook.dsl \
	/usr/share/sgml/declaration/xml.dcl
	GemBook.xml
)
I get lots of messages like:

openjade:/usr/share/sgml/docbook/dtd/xml/4.1/docbook.cat:34:0:W: DTDDECL
catalog entries are not supported

Huh?  No DTDDECL's with XML?

%< cut discussion on tables - thax, it works decently well >%

> I get the feeling that the dsssl route is a technological
> dead end and you would probably be better off switching to xsl
> rather than learning to hack dsssl, especially as you are already
> using docbook/XML. I think passivetex is also being more
> actively developed than jadetex, if I understand correctly.

I recall I chose DSSSL anyway because I read that the XSL stylesheets, or
one of the other intervening tools, did not support printing - or
something like that.  The DocBook Wiki on Debian states that FOP
performs poorly as compared to Jade/Jadetex (DSSSL) in rpinting.
If you have information otherwise, please let me know.  Is the proper use
of XSL stylesheets with DocBook to generate paper output documented somewhere?

--

	Tom "thriving on chaos" Peters
		NL-1062 KD nr 149	tel.    +31-204080204
 			Amsterdam	e-mail  tpeters@xs4all.nl