Re: Can 'base.dir" be relative? [SOLVED]

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 13:21, Bob Stayton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 11:16:35AM -0600, John.Himpel@edwardjones.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am working on a large set of documents that the user will need to be able to create from their
> > local copy of a CVS repository.  Since I cannot (and should not) control the placement of the
> > user's local repository, relative catalog/file references are a must.
> >
> > I cannot seem to get relative references to work properly for base.dir.  I am trying to control the
> > location of the chunked output.
> >
> > My customization file looks like this:
> >
> > <xsl:param name="base.dir" select="'../../project-name/html/'"/>
> >
> > When I give this to xsltproc, I get:
> >
> > xsltDocumentElem: unable to save project-name/html/fonts.html
> >
> > This is unrelated to the very recently reported problem of xsltproc not creating missing directory
> > (or at least I don't think so because the directories are there).
> >
> > Either
> > 1) My assumption that relative position begins at the .xml document is incorrect.
> > or
> > 2) base.dir does not support relative locations
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> I've never had problems in xsltproc with relative pathnames
> that include .. syntax like this.  If the directory is
> there, it should work.  The stylesheet should be outputing
> a message for each chunk like:
>
>   Writing ../../project-name/html/ for chapter(secondchapter)
>
> unless the chunk.quietly parameter is set to 1.
> It should include the dots.
>
> For that matter, the xsltDocumentElem error message should
> include the dots as well, but your example does not.
> Is it possible that the param is being overridden somehow?
Bob,

It took a while to find it, but I did (mostly) have an overriding
directive.  Except it was the --output commandline option to xsltproc.
While the /project-name/html was not where I pointed --output, the
combination of that option, base.dir, and chunking was enough to confuse
everything.  The --output was leftover from copying a Makefile and
should not have been there.  When I remove the --output, all is well.

Thanks for the hint.

John