RE: Sorting and non-en_US indexes

I'll be happy to write up a faq for how to do this with Saxon once I
have everything in place and have tested it enough to be sure I've got
it right.

First, I have a question for those who understand the inner workings of
gentext. In autoidx.xsl, to every template that has an xsl:sort, I've
added:

	<xsl:variable name="sort.lang">
	  <xsl:call-template name="l10n.language"/>
	</xsl:variable>

...and added this to the xsl:sorts:

      <xsl:sort lang="{$sort.lang}"...

In my test doc, which has <book lang="ja">, this seems to work. Is this
the 'right' way to do it? Should something like this be added to the
standard autoidx.xsl? Or would that be bad since it precludes the use of
java -Duser.language (since that's overridded by the xsl:sort's lang)?
Or is my brain frozen and can't remember how to make xsl:sort only have
a lang if one is defined?

Thanks,
David