Re: OT: Searching HTML or On topic, searching xml?

On Tue, Sep 03, 2002 at 05:46:49PM +0100, Dave Pawson wrote:
> At 04:52 03/09/2002, Bob Stayton wrote:
>
> >There are many possibilities for searching.
>

> >boolean logic, word endings, etc.?  What kind of
> >interface do you want for the query and for
> >the search results?
>

> If docbook had a tag for 'searchable' content, as it does for
> index terms, then it wouldn't be too hard to collate an 'index'
> of search terms and the html file, even in a chunked output?
> /would it?
>
> I'd like to have such a thing for both my faq's.

Well, there is 'keyword' and 'keywordset', which can appear
in any *info element.  It was the intention of those
to embed a list of searchable keywords.  These words
are output by the HTML stylesheets in <meta name="keywords">
elements in the HTML head.  Those wouldn't be hard
to collate into an index.  But they only resolve to
the HTML file, not a specific anchor location in the file.
Some of your FAQ pages are pretty long.
Why not just use a regular index if you are going to
embed terms?

                                            email: bobs@caldera.com