Re: content creation

Gary Grobe wrote:
I'm trying to get the doc process down to create some really nice docs. Using vi w/ docbook is making my fingers tired, but it certainly gives me lots of flexibility.
I use Emacs on OSX.  Slightly more GUI, but not much.

> So I went out and bought adobe acrobat thinking
it was a sort of create/edit tool for creating manuals, but turns out I think it's only good for making documents into pdf files Probably a waste of $250.
I don't see how it would help when your source is DocBook.

So I converted all my docbook web pages into pdf's and they turned out ok, but was wondering how you guys are going about this (creating some nice user manuals) and if I understand the process correctly. Do you create the content using whatever you wish and then import/convert them into pdf's?
I use the DocBook XSL stylesheets to create FO, and then
turn those into PDF using Fop.  Fop runs just fine under OSX,
since Java is installed by default.

Anyone know of any good gui tools where I can just concentrate on the content (and maybe some that run on OSX, and don't cost too much)?
I've written an application that allows you to run your
documents through the XSLT processor in a point-and-click
fashion.  Would you like to beta test it?  If so contact
me directly via my email address below.

Cheers,
Steve Ball

--
Steve Ball            |   XSLT Standard Library   | Training & Seminars
Zveno Pty Ltd         |     Web Tcl Complete      |   XML XSL Schemas