Re: long strings

One should also be able to insert ­ (which is defined in the
character entity files that are part of the DocBook DTD--or you
can just use ­) to insert a discretionary hyphen.  This will
cause a hyphen (dash) character to be printed at the end of the line
if a break is taken here.

One can also insert ​ which is the "zero width space" character
which allows a line break here without the insertion of a dash.  (This
character may not be implemented as such in all formatters.)

In both cases, if the line isn't broken at that spot, your output
doesn't have an introduced space as would be the case with solution 1.

paul