How do I handle line breaks in table entries fromdtdparse?

Greetings all.  I am documenting the dtd for an application at work.
Over the past few months, I have made sporadic attempts to use docbook
for this purpose.

The succint version of the question is:   How do I get linebreaks in my
xml to make it through to the pdf rendition of a docbook instance?

I succeeded some time ago in using the dtdparse package from Norm Walsh
to generate some refentry content directly from our dtd.   This past
week, I finally got around to trying to get jade + dsssl to do some
output of the docbook instance created by dtdparse.  (BTW, the effort
and frustration of getting jade to do anything with xml just about put
an end to my efforts ;-)   I used Walsh's modular dsssl stylesheets with
jade.  I want pdf, so I got jade to put out tex, and then used jadetex
to get pdf.

The problem is that Walsh's dtdparse package creates tables (to document
element content models in the dtd) in which the <entry> elements rely on
line breaks ((#xA) to format the entry, at least as far as I can tell.
When I run the tex file output by jade through pdfjadetex, the latter
reports that many of the tables are too wide.  The problem is that the
table entries that are meant to be multi-line (i.e. broken by line
breaks) are all strung together to make one very wide table cell.

I know neither dsssl nor jadetex, but don't mind learning.

Does anyone have any bright ideas on how I might fix this problem?

TIA.

- Pat -