Re: Re: DOCBOOK: Minutes: DocBook TechnicalCommitteeMeeting: 21 Aug 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 01:35:34PM +0200, Jirka Kosek wrote:
> There are too many possibilites. As far as merging of DTDs cann't be
> automated, going DTDs way to support other markup schemes than DocBook
> in DocBook documents is not long term solution (but may be used if you
> need MathML or SVG in your document right now). My personal opinion
> about DocBook future is to let it be single DTD, doing linking and
> inclusion by DocBook's elements. When there will be more tools

  Then you're gonna create a legacy problem that you will
NEVER be able to get rid of. If you start adding DocBook linking
specific construct, this mean in practice you will never get your
user base to switch to a more standard solution.
  Been there, done that, fighted for 2.5 years with the HTML WG
at W3C, not fun at all, I don't intend to do the same here, which
also mean that if you don't want to use XLink I won't make any mess.
  But you go this way you should clearly state that you don't care
reusing those standards, that would be more frank.

 If you want XLink support add it in the default DTD, period. If you
start adding customization layer, it's just that customization, and
those should not go in the standard IMHO. Stay focused and avoid
fragmentation of your user base. Be also clear about your objectives.

Daniel