Re: best tool for docbook?

Holger Rauch wrote:

Hi Holger,

> Ok, but why do you think WYSIWYG XML editors are a tool for masses? Since
> there is no *real* WYSIWYG in the XML world, why care about it? To be
> honest, I don't really see why Emacs+PSGML could not be used by a wider
> audience. Ok, a sysadmin should provide the right ".emacs" (or

In theory it could, and in theory everyone can use TeX instead of MS
Word. For me Emacs is cool tool, but many people which are now start
using DocBook previously used applications like MS Word. Learning
"philosophy" behind XML and DocBook for them is far enough. They are
usually able to start authoring DocBook documents in something like
XMetaL or Epic quite quickly, if you show them benefits of structured
markup and information reuse. But they need at least approximation of
visual appearance during editing. They aren't able edit text without
some level of WYSIWYG. Don't ask me why, it is reality. For me it is
better to enter plain text or markup and left formatting to final stage
of document preparation. But most people aren't able to do this. This is
(for me sad) reality. We (Emacs, TeX, ... users) must reconcile with
it.

				Jirka